Found 2 records | Page 1 of 1
on 12/02/2011 - 03:21 pm
Serotonin starts rushing and the high begins. I am finishing my workout. No doubt, exercise lifts the body and clears the mind. We all need activity. It doesn't have to be a back-breaking exercise delivered by a super-fit drill sargeant. It could be gardening, nature hikes or yoga.
Benefits of exercise for all of us
- Fights Depression: exercise helps with the wintertime blues
- Keeps the weight off: beats the 10 lbs that come with the holidays
- Adds years to your life: an active lifestyle is part of the secret to most centurions (people who've lived past 100)
- Gives us a feeling of belonging: Group activities such as aerobics classes or soccer games keep us feeling connected
I’m a big fan of kickboxing. I’m also thrilled to see all of the neon colored shoe laces that people are wearing now. Eases the pain a bit. If you are looking for another option, ladies, you can be confident and relaxed at the Curves gyms across the country. These all-female gyms offer everything from a 30 minute workout strategy to a full featured website with personalized tools, testimonials and an e-magazine.
And as is rumored, gay men are said to have a swagger. It becomes all the more obvious in my Zumba classes. I am out-danced every time. Since the 1990’s, this Latin-inspired training has become the largest dance fitness program in the world. Can straights and gays help each other in the Zumba room? If you can shake it like you mean it, then help a struggling neighbor out. Show them a few dance moves. If you are rhythmically challenged like myself, then give it your all... and expect a few giggles. You’ll feel good either way.
Thanks for reading. This is Straighty Says, and I’ll shoot it to you straight!
Examples of gay-frienly fitness clubs found on GayborhoodApp.com:
* Atlanta Rocks! Indoor Climbing Gym
* Faydra Shantel Massage and Fitness - Chicago
* Body Solutions Personal Training & Fitness - Atlanta
For more fitness solutions, go to http://www.gayborhoodapp.com/listing/results.php?keyword=fitness&where=
* Gay Fitness, Health and Life - http://www.realjock.com/
* Gay Fitness Boot Camp - http://www.halkidikifitnessbootcamp.com/gay-fitness-boot-camp
* Gay Weigh Blog - http://gayweigh.blogspot.com/
* Advocate Health & Fitness - http://www.advocate.com/Health/Fitness/ Includes articles on bench presses, the AIDS Life Cycle and gravity boots, just to name a few.
* Pink News Health - http://www.pinknews.co.uk/category/health/
image courtesy of crossfitimpulse.com
on 09/01/2011 - 04:24 pm
Straighties like me tend to think that most literature is, well, straight. Books, magazines, authors, we assume that it is written by the straighties, for the straighties. This week I take a look at the various publications in the gay community and where you can get your hands on some fabulous lgbtq reading.
FAIRY TALE FICTION
Here’s a concept. Gay Fiction. I didn’t even know that it existed! I ran across this website in my search http://gayauthors.org/ It contains a plethora of books for fiction afficianados, but with a homo-friendly twist.
EXTRA, EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!
They say that no news is good news, but what about gay news? The most well known news source is The Advocate (www.advocate.com), but even some of the the off-the-cuff publications have crazy grit and wacky stories worth reading. Check the bottom of this article for a complete list of news sources in the US.
RACK 'EM UP! THE MAGAZINES, THAT IS
When you are thumbing through the magazine rack, there seem to be 20 magazines on e-v-e-r-y topic. How to choose?
One publication that is getting a lot of attention is Zeus Magazine (http://zeusmagazine.com/) Zeus is a lifestyle magazine for men. They have an array of YouTube videos featuring their signature model search. It’s GQ meets Cosmo with a taste of Chicago. Don’t miss it: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZeusMagazine
South Florida Gay News - http://www.southfloridagaynews.com/ has a great website with news, A&E, business, editorials and a gay comic strip section to boot. Their headline? Gay News. Straight Facts. I like them already.
Project Q Atlanta http://projectqatlanta.com/ is the Who’s Who of the gay-Atlanta scene. They were voted as having the Best Gay Blog and the Best LGBT News Source in Fenuxe Magazine and Southern Voice. From the words of owners Matt Henney and Mike Fleming, “Like the word “queer” itself, Project Q Atlanta is evolved and stands for so much more.”
The GA Voice is all about Speaking Out. The publication is very clever, and I was pleasantly surprised to find a section titled “That’s What She Said”. Fantastic! They’ve just posted the entertainment lineup for Atlanta Pride, too, so keep them bookmarked. You can also find all of their print editions online, which is a huge plus. http://www.thegavoice.com/
Fenuxe Magazine will dazzle and inspire you. They’ve got beautiful cover photos and eye candy galore. A section called “Ultra Out” showcases events and people who are making a difference...or making a scene, either one. Follow them on Facebook for happenings, reviews and more. http://www.facebook.com/fenuxe
David Magazine Atlanta http://www.facebook.com/DavidAtlantaMagazine is the exclusive Atlanta arts, entertainment and nightlife magazine. Each week they feature theatre, music, nightlife, dining, weekly columns, celebrities and much much more. Keep an eye open for their new website to be launched September 15th!
And last but not least, there is always the trusty bookstore at Amazon.com. With a simple keyword search (“gay”), you will be introduced to nearly 100,000 works of gay-friendly fiction, sci-fi, cookbooks, you name it. So get yourself a bookmark and an oversized chair. You’ve got some reading to do! This is Straighty Says, and I’ll shoot it to you straight!
A FEW MORE 'MO MAGZ IN THE U.S. OF A.
▪ biMagazine (American Institute of Bisexuality)., covering the Arts, Culture & Society
▪ Compete Magazine (Media Out Loud LLC)., Coverage of sports events and stories about athletes within the Gay Community
▪ GALA Magazine (Christine F. Gerity)., Print and online magazine; a voice for unseen, unheard, and undiscovered artists within the LGBT community.
▪ G.L.A.M. (Gay & Lesbian Alternative Magazine) (GLAM Magazine, LLC)., The magazine for GLBT artist & musicians
▪ GaySOFLA Magazine Online., South Florida
▪ National Gay News (Norm E. Kent).
▪ OMG! Magazine (OMG Multimedia Companies, LLC).
▪ Queer'd Magazine (Queer'd Entertainment"). Queer'd THE magazine for folks who don't swim in the mainstream. Are you Queer'd? In print and digital.
▪ LGBTN (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgendered News)
▪ GaySOFLA Magazine Online LGBT News & Information Source
▪ EDGE Publications Network National Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender news and entertainment
▪ NationalGayNews.Com National, International, Local Gay News for the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Communities Online, Daily Updates, Plus Tons of Resources. Publisher: Norm E. Kent, Esq.
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 PAGES:
More Wiki-links for written works in the US and abroad...
LGBT Publications in the US:
LGBT Publications around the globe:
LGBT Periodicals around the globe: